On 16 March 2020 the British Columbia Provincial Health Officer announced an advisory prohibiting public gatherings of 50 or more people. While we continue to defer to our member clubs in making decisions regarding their operations and events, this new prohibition applies to all near-term CORA-sanctioned races.
Near term events that have been postponed include:
- Crazy 8s (NOPC) 14-15 March 2020
- March Madness (FCRCC) 21 March 2020
- Wake Up The Gorge (VCKC) 4-5 April 2020
- River Run (FLCC) 18 April 2020
- National Sprints (VYPC) 25-26 April 2020
- SwitchBlade Multi-Paddle-Sport Relay (VCKC) 9 May 2020
- Duel In The Desert (PRCC) 9-10 May 2020
- D’Arcy Island Cash Dash (L48) 16 May, 2020
We will keep our members apprised of race schedule changes as they emerge, and in the context of event prohibitions as they evolve over the coming weeks.
Club / Facility closures:
As of 23 March 2020, the following clubs and facilities have suspended operations. Confirmation of service resumption dates will be communicated to members as they become known:
- Dragon Zone Paddling Club
- False Creek Racing Canoe Club
- Fort Langley Canoe Club
- Fraser Valley Paddling Club
- Jericho Paddling Club
- Lotus Sports Club
- Vancouver Ocean Sports
- Fairway Gorge Paddling Club
- VI Paddling Club
- Victoria Canoe Kayak Club
- Victoria Youth Paddling Club
Okanagan / Interior
- Penticton Racing Canoe Club
We expect significant ongoing impacts to our member clubs’ operations, and additional postponements and cancellations of races as we work to curtail the community spread of COVID-19.
Please watch the CORA Race Schedule for race updates, and visit our website regularly for announcements. These dramatic changes — vital preventive measures over the near term — amount to our collective investment in the best outcomes for Canadians, and for our neighbours around the world.