Due to COVID restrictions in British Columbia, CORA is replacing the eight (8) traditional small boats Winter Series races scheduled for the British Columbia Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island with three (3) new “Virtual Winter Series” races available to CORA members across Canada. The small boats Virtual Winter Series will be a fun series comprising the following races:
Virtual Winter Series Race #1 – Saturday, January 30, 2021 (COMPLETED)
Host Clubs: Jericho Paddling Club (Vancouver) & Fairway Gorge Paddling Club (Victoria)
Registration opens: Saturday, January 23, 2021
Results submission deadline: 5:00pm (Pacific Time), Sunday, January 31, 2021
Virtual Winter Series Race #2 – Saturday, February 27, 2021 (COMPLETED)
Host Clubs: Lotus Sports Club (Burnaby) & Nanaimo Ocean Paddling Club (Nanaimo)
Registration opens: Saturday, February 13, 2021
Registration closes on Saturday 27 February 2021 at 5:00pm (Pacific Time)
Results submission deadline: 5:00pm (Pacific Time), Sunday, February 28, 2021
Registration is now closed – Race submissions are now closed.
Virtual Winter Series Race #3 – March 13-27, 2021 (COMPLETED)
Host Clubs: False Creek Racing Canoe Club (Vancouver), Fort Langley Canoe Club (Langley) and Latitude 48 Paddling Club (Victoria)
Registration opens: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 3:00pm (Pacific Time)
Results submission deadline: 5:00pm (Pacific Time), Sunday, March 28, 2021
The CORA Race Committee will manage race registration (including collection of race fees and race waivers) and receipt and tabulation of results through the CORA website. Once you register through the CORA website you will be provided with a discrete link at which to submit your results, including a screenshot or photo or your time and course.
Race particulars are as follows:
- 2021 CORA membership is required to participate.
- Each race will have a short and long course and general course configuration determined by the host clubs and described on the CORA website.
- A GPS watch or ERG computer is required to record your virtual race.
- Race fees are Cdn$20 per adult, Cdn$10 per junior (19 & under) – calculated based on birthdate. Race proceeds (net of GST) will be shared equally by the 7 host clubs at the end of the series.
- Eligible small boats: V1, OC1 and OC2, C1, K1, surfski single and double, marathon canoe single and double, SUP, kayak, Concept2 erg and KayakPro erg.
- Age divisions: Junior (19 & under), Open (20-39), Masters 40+ (40-49), Masters 50+ (50-59), Masters 60+ (60-69) and Masters 70+ (70 and over) – calculated based on birthdate. We have limited the Open division to a specific age range for ease of calculation.
- Gender divisions: Women (all boats), Men (all boats) and Mixed (OC2, surfski double and marathon double).
- Registration will open one week before each designated ‘race date’. Registered competitors may paddle their race at any time during the week, but race data must be submitted through your discrete link by 5:00pm (Pacific Time) on the Sunday after the ‘race date’. No submissions will be accepted after 5:00pm.
- GPS distances must meet or exceed the course distance in order to qualify. For example, 5.00km and 5.01km qualify for a 5km course, while 4.99km does not. It’s better to overshoot rather than undershoot the race distance.
- Competitors may submit multiple race results for a particular registration, but only the fastest time will be ranked and posted. You may race in different types of boats, but each boat type will require an additional registration (and fee).
- The CORA Race Committee will sort results and determine leaderboard standings based on the fastest result from each athlete for each division. Results will be published on the CORA website the following week.
- No prizes will be awarded for placings, but each registrant will be entered into a random draw for prizes valued at Cdn$1000 in total, to be drawn after the end of the race series. Prizes include cozy headwear and socks and helmets from our title sponsors: CORA, Predator Designs Inc. and XS Unified.
CORA VIRTUAL WINTER SERIES RACE #3
Sunday to Saturday, 14-27 MARCH 2021
Hosted by: False Creek Racing Canoe Club (Vancouver), Fort Langley Canoe Club (Langley) and Latitude 48 Paddling Club (Victoria)
- Registration opens: Sunday 14 March 2021, 3:00 pm (Pacific time);
- Registration closes: Saturday 27 March 2021 (5:00pm Pacific Time)
- Results submission deadline: 5:00pm (Pacific Time) Sunday 28 March 2021
- Short Course: 5km / Long Course: 10km
- Course configuration – loop or one-way
Registration is now closed
Please submit all results before 5:00 pm Sunday 28 March 2021
CORA Membership link: CLICK HERE