Due to COVID restrictions in British Columbia, CORA is replacing the eight (8) traditional small boats Winter Series races scheduled for the British Columbia Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island with three (3) new “Virtual Series” races available to CORA members across Canada. The small boats Virtual Winter and Spring Series will be a fun series comprising the following races:
The CORA Race Committee will manage race registration (including collection of race fees and race waivers) and receipt and tabulation of results through the CORA website. Once you register through the CORA website you will be provided with a discrete link at which to submit your results, including a screenshot or photo or your time and course.
Race particulars are as follows:
- 2021 CORA membership is required to participate.
- Each race will have a short and long course and general course configuration determined by the host clubs and described on the CORA website.
- A GPS watch or ERG computer is required to record your virtual race.
- Race fees are Cdn$20 per adult, Cdn$10 per junior (19 & under) – calculated based on birthdate. Race proceeds (net of GST) will be shared equally by the 7 host clubs at the end of the series.
- Eligible small boats: V1, OC1 and OC2, C1, K1, surfski single and double, marathon canoe single and double, SUP, kayak, Concept2 erg and KayakPro erg. The same equipment must be used for each submission. A second registration is required to use different equipment.
- Age divisions: Junior (19 & under), Open (20-39), Masters 40+ (40-49), Masters 50+ (50-59), Masters 60+ (60-69) and Masters 70+ (70 and over) – calculated based on birthdate. We have limited the Open division to a specific age range for ease of calculation.
- Skill divisions: Novice and Experienced
- Gender divisions: Women (all boats), Men (all boats) and Mixed (OC2, surfski double and marathon double).
- Registration will open two weeks before each designated ‘race date’. Registered competitors may paddle their race at any time during the week, but race data must be submitted through your discrete link by 5:00pm (Pacific Time) on the Sunday after the ‘race date’. No submissions will be accepted after 5:00pm on the Sunday after the ‘race date’.
- GPS distances must meet or exceed the course distance in order to qualify. For example, 5.00km and 5.01km qualify for a 5km course, while 4.99km does not. It’s better to overshoot rather than undershoot the race distance.
- Competitors may submit multiple race results for a particular registration, but only the fastest time will be ranked and posted. You may race in different types of boats, but each boat type will require an additional registration (and fee).
- The CORA Race Committee will sort results and determine leaderboard standings based on the fastest result from each athlete for each division. Results will be published on the CORA website the following week.
- No prizes will be awarded for placings, but each registrant will be entered into a random draw for prizes valued at Cdn$1000 in total, to be drawn after the end of the race series. Prizes include cozy headwear and socks and helmets from our title sponsors: CORA, Predator Designs Inc. and XS Unified.
Virtual Spring Series Race #3
Sunday, 13 June through Saturday 26 June 2021
Hosted by: Kelowna Paddle Centre (Kelowna) and Vernon Paddling Centre (Vernon)
- Registration opens: Sunday 13 June 2021, 10:00am (Pacific time);
- Registration closes: Saturday 26 June 2021 (5:00pm Pacific Time)
- Results submission deadline: 5:00pm (Pacific Time) Sunday 27 June 2021
RACE formats for Sprint V-Race #2:
- Short Course: 5K triangle
- Long Course: 12K triangle (3 x 4K Triangle loops)
- Paddling Levels: Novice or Experienced
- Solo or “Solo Cohorts”
Registration is now closed for this event.
Please submit all results before 5:00 pm PDT Sunday 27 June 2021
CORA Membership link: CLICK HERE
Virtual Spring Series Race #2 – May 16 to 29, 2021 (COMPLETED)
Host Clubs: Fraser Valley Paddling Club (Chilliwak) and Penticton Racing Canoe Club (Penticton)
Registration opens: Saturday, May 16, 2021, 10:00am (Pacific Time)
Results submission deadline: 5:00pm (Pacific Time), Sunday, May 30, 2021
Virtual Spring Series Race #1 – April 17 to May 1, 2021 (COMPLETED)
Host Clubs: Comox Valley Canoe Racing Club (Comox) and Vancouver Ocean Sports (Vancouver)
Registration opens: Saturday, April 17, 2021, 10:00am (Pacific Time)
Results submission deadline: 5:00pm (Pacific Time), Sunday, May 2, 2021
Virtual Winter Series Race #3 – March 13-27, 2021 (COMPLETED)
Host Clubs: False Creek Racing Canoe Club (Vancouver), Fort Langley Canoe Club (Langley) and Latitude 48 Paddling Club (Victoria)
Registration opens: Sunday, March 14, 2021, 3:00pm (Pacific Time)
Results submission deadline: 5:00pm (Pacific Time), Sunday, March 28, 2021
Virtual Winter Series Race #2 – Saturday, February 27, 2021 (COMPLETED)
Host Clubs: Lotus Sports Club (Burnaby) & Nanaimo Ocean Paddling Club (Nanaimo)
Registration opens: Saturday, February 13, 2021
Registration closes on Saturday 27 February 2021 at 5:00pm (Pacific Time)
Results submission deadline: 5:00pm (Pacific Time), Sunday, February 28, 2021
Virtual Winter Series Race #1 – Saturday, January 30, 2021 (COMPLETED)
Host Clubs: Jericho Paddling Club (Vancouver) & Fairway Gorge Paddling Club (Victoria)
Registration opens: Saturday, January 23, 2021
Results submission deadline: 5:00pm (Pacific Time), Sunday, January 31, 2021